Saturday, February 21, 2026
8 C
Laval
spot_img
Home Blog Page 156

LPD’s Azimut Squad to begin operations

0

The Laval Police Department has announced the impending start of operations of the Azimut Squad, a new and independent detachment that will be providing proactive support to respond to residents’ complaints.

Created during the police department reform announced by Mayor Marc Demers, the squad is gradually being put into place and is expected to be fully up and running by 2023.

Azimut’s role is expected to be to provide operational support for information gathering about criminal activities, public disorder, disorderly conduct, as well as issues concerning road safety.

The unit will be composed of 10 police officers and a sergeant, with 21 members eventually. In the next nine months, nine officers and a sergeant will become active.

“Azimut will be there to maintain a feeling of security in the population and to be in direct contact with it,” said Serge Gaignard, assistant director of the LPD and its administration department. “We will be taking on all the problems and issues involved in public security which affect citizens.”

The new unit is being created following the implementation of the LPD’s Prévention squad, which was launched at the beginning of this year to investigate crimes of a sexual nature.

Major crackdown by the LPD on COVID-19 rule breakers

Last week, officers with the Laval Police handed out more than $200,000 worth of tickets mostly to young car drivers who gathered in the parking lot of the mall off Autoroute 13 in Sainte-Dorothée in violation of COVID-19 restrictions.

On the evening of March 21 around 8 pm, around 200 youths gathered in around 100 vehicles which were souped-up or modified, even though the police had been tipped and were there waiting.

In all, according to the LPD, 130 tickets were handed out, each averaging $1550. When it was all over, the city stood to take in a total of $201,500. At least one person was also arrested.

“We wanted to send a strong message, but mostly to remind everyone that Laval is still in a red zone,” said LPD communications officers Julie Marois, noting the COVID-19 regulation, while adding that just because the curfew was shortened didn’t mean it was time to ignore all other responsibilities.

“With the coronavirus variants now among us, we must double up on being careful while respecting the recommended preventive measures from public health, so long as the majority of the population is still not vaccinated,” said Mayor Marc Demers. “Having gatherings like this is not a good idea at all,” he added. “Outdoor activities must take place while respecting all the sanitary rules.”

GoFundMe campaign seeks to provide ‘David’ with a better home

Homeless man spent the past winter camped in Sainte-Dorothée woods

With spring finally here, a Laval resident with a big heart is trying to improve the living conditions of a homeless man who – incredibly enough – braved the cold and snow while living outdoors in the Sainte-Dorothée woods over the past winter.

It is coming up on one year that David has been living in his tent in the woods, says Oscar Parry who has been helping him out. However, while spring offers a welcome change of pace, it still leaves many hazards when you live in a tent on the ground.

Challenging weather

Mud, mini rivers and constant wetness are a few of the unfortunate consequences of the rapidly melting snow. Oscar started a GoFundMe crowdfunding page on the internet for David, homeless and in his early fifties, who is living in a secluded spot on the edge of the Sainte-Dorothée woods around the former Mont Laval trailer park.

“This is David,” Oscar writes on his page. “He’s a friend of mine that toughs it out in the woods in Laval, Quebec. I met David in the summer of 2020 while I was on a walk in the woods and he was at ‘home.’ We had a good chat and I came by to visit and bring some ‘extras’ over the course of the summer and fall. And in the bitter cold of winter.”

Toughing it out

Having toughed it out in a makeshift tent not suitable for Quebec’s brutal winters, David has made the best of his situation, says Oscar. While he enjoys being on his own, he realizes the limitations and the hardship of his situation, although he always greets Oscar with a smile.

According to Oscar, David would like to get back to work, but unfortunately, where he lives now makes it impossible to power up his cell phone to be able look for work, let alone get cleaned up or go to interviews. And, of course, the COVID-19 pandemic hasn’t helped, either.

Having toughed it out in a makeshift tent not suitable for Quebec’s brutal winters, David has made the best of his situation

To keep warm over the past winter, David made his own stove out of concrete blocks he found. And while spring is finally here, for David unfortunately that just means melting snow drenching his tent and the few belongings he has.

Turning his life around

While his face, hands and clothes are often black from the smoke of the fires he makes to stay warm, Oscar says David is still smiling, although access to things we take for granted – like a shower, decent shelter and something as simple as hot coffee – would all contribute to a massive turning point in his life.

Oscar and other supporters believe a starting point to lifting David out of his situation would be to purchase a van to effectively serve as his home. In in the interim, they have found a safe legal place for him to park and live.

A badly-needed break

Although David is working with a social worker to find housing, they are having no luck, Oscar adds. However, he believes that a van would be more useful at the moment.

“It’s a desired step-up in living accommodations,” he said. “It is a vehicle that can be driven to job interviews and to facilities to get cleaned up. It can also be driven to any skills upgrading courses David chooses to pursue.”

Donations for David are currently being sought through the GoFundMe page (https://gofund.me/79827d66).

According to Oscar, here’s how donations will be used: van purchase, registration, insurance, a few added touches to upgrade living condition, repairs, miscellaneous. While all donations are being accepted, Oscar says they are hoping to receive $25 contributions on average.

Officials gathered to mark 200 years of independence for Greece

Officials from the City of Laval, from the Consulate-General of Greece in Montreal, as well as from the Hellenic Community of Greater Montreal and the provincial and federal governments gathered at the Laval municipal cenotaph near city hall on March 25 to mark an especially-momentous occasion for Hellenic people: the 200th anniversary of the independence of Greece.

The Greek War of Independence was waged by Greek revolutionaries against the Ottoman Empire between 1821 and 1830.

The Greeks were later assisted by Great Britain, France and Russia. The war led to the formation of modern Greece.

Seen in the photo (from the left) are Laval city councillor for L’Abord-à-Plouffe Vasilios Karidogiannis, Laval-Les Îles MP Fayça​​l El-Khoury​, Consul General for Greece in Montreal Michalis Gavriilidis, Laval mayor Marc Demers, HCGM president Andy Crilis, Vimy MP Annie Koutrakis, Laval executive-committee vice-president Stéphane Boyer, and Laval city councillor for Chomedey Aglaia Revelakis.

Laval releases strategy report for its post-COVID-19 economy

In a report on the strategy the City of Laval will be using to relaunch the post-pandemic economy, alternate mayor and vice-president of the executive-committee Stéphane Boyer says the city’s “old dial-telephone is broken,” so we should “take the opportunity to get a new one in keeping with the 21st century.”

The report, which was released last week, dwells on seven areas of Laval’s economy, including retailing, restaurants, small and medium businesses, industry, manufacturing, tourism and social economy. The report contains 26 recommendations, some of which can be implemented immediately, while others will require more time.

“Laval is one of the regions which is bearing up best against the current economic crisis,” said Boyer. “There are people out there saying this to us. We must accelerate the pace in order to prepare the relaunch and to cover the most territory. We want to be ready in order to get back to cruising speed.”

Prior to releasing the report, Boyer met leaders from more than 30 groups and organizations with a stake in the relaunch of Laval’s economy following the pandemic. The report is available from the city, as well as on Stéphane Boyer’s Facebook site.

Spring floods seem under control, altough city still watchful

While officials and workers with the city are still on the watch for signs of flooding in Laval’s riverside areas, as has often been the case in recent past years, the situation this spring seems to be relatively flood-free, although safeguards are being put in place just in case.

The city says it stands ready to respond quickly should the waters suddenly rise and catch residents off guard. The measures include the use of dikes, pumps and overpasses.

“In as much as the current situation is normal, we know that it can change drastically,” said city councillor for Concorde–Bois-de-Boulogne Sandra Desmeules, who is responsible for public safety dossiers.

The city’s spring 2021 flood strategy includes automated alerts sent to residents should water levels suddenly start rising significantly. Sand bags for piling up against rising waters will also be distributed as in past years.

Since 2006, the city has used a special telemetry water level monitoring system to check rising levels all around Île Jésus. The city also relies on technology and information provided by higher levels of government to predict the best course of action to take should the water begin to reach flood levels.

City goes into spring-cleaning mode after long winter

In order to get Laval’s streets and sidewalks back into ship-shape following the long and arduous winter, the city has started its annual outdoor spring cleaning operation and wants all residents to be cautious if they see workers going about their tasks over the coming weeks.

The street sweepers are expected to be out in force cleaning up all the salt and sand left behind from operations to deal with snow and ice during the winter months. Crews are also expected to be active in parks and other municipal green spaces to clean up whatever mother nature left behind in the last few months.

“An early spring has allowed us to get ahead a little bit this year,” said Sainte-Dorothée city councillor Ray Khalil, member of the executive-committee responsible for public works.

“In order to keep up the pace, the cooperation of citizens is essential, whether it’s by using new recycling bins or following seasonal signage, which ends on April 30, to facilitate the work of the mechanical sweepers.” Khalil pointed out that the city’s work crews are currently carrying out two key activities: filling of potholes and other repairs on the streets; repairs and maintenance of the waterworks and sewer network; and pruning of essential trees.

Mayor reacts to latest Quebec budget

‘Good news for Laval,’ says Marc Demers

In a statement issued last week before he announced his withdrawal from next November’s municipal elections, Laval mayor Marc Demers said he was very pleased with the provincial government’s 2021-2022 budget.

Measures for Laval

In the budget, which focuses largely on relaunching the economy and continuing the fight against COVID-19, were several measures that Demers said stand to positively impact Laval by stimulating development and growth of the third-largest city in the province.

The mayor said he was satisfied by the government’s announced supplementary investment of $250 million over three years in social and community housing across Quebec.

Meeting urgent needs

“Taking into account the sanitary crisis, these investments will allow us to respond to the most urgent needs in order to rapidly improve the situation of families already burdened by the scarce availability of housing and an increase in the cost of rents,” said Demers.

However, the city points out that significant efforts are already being made to improve sustainable housing conditions for the population. In this context, the city says its a step in the right direction taken by the government with its announcement of $37.6 million to finance 500 new AccèsLogis housing units.

Public transit help

In public transit, the government will be earmarking an additional $200 million in the Programme d’aide d’urgence au transport collectif program. The city also acknowledges the importance of this investment which will allow public transit to be maintained adequately.

In environmental issues, Quebec allotted $957.4 million for the period 2021-2031, to pay for, among other things, municipal projects such as biomethanisation and composting, improvement to municipal water dams, and other issues.

For social development

On social development, the city maintains that the government’s latest budget places emphasis on this issue, whether it means recognizing those who are most vulnerable, or women who are victims of violence, or senior citizens or victims of criminal acts.

In economic development, the government allotted $885 million for efforts to kick-start the province’s economy. In addition, the government is consecrating $4 billion over five years to help relaunch the province’s economy.

What’s wrong with this picture?

While the City of Laval is currently in the midst of a campaign to promote how easy it supposedly is to report broken streetlights online or through a dedicated app, Laval city councillor for Vimont Michel Poissant sent in this ironic photo taken along des Laurentides Blvd. deflating the city’s claim somewhat.

According to Poissant, who is currently running for mayor in the November municipal elections, around 34 street lights on the overpass that takes des Laurentides Blvd. over Autoroute 440 have been broken for months, even though he claims to have reported them as have others living in his district.

The Laval News contacted the city administration for an explanation of the apparent shortfall, but we had not received a reply by our deadline earlier this week.

We will be following up on this story in our next issue.

Laval News Volume 29-07

0

The current issue of the Laval News volume 29-07 published March 31st, 2021.
Covering Laval local news, politics, sports and our new section Mature Life.
(Click on the image to read the paper.)

Front page of the Laval News.
https://lavalnews.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/TLN-29-07-WEB.pdfFront page of the Laval News, March 31st, 2021 issue.

Demers announces he won’t seek a third term in November

Laval mayor Marc Demers announced in a statement issued on Tuesday that he won’t be seeking a third mandate in the municipal elections scheduled for next November 7.

“After 38 years of public service, it is with great pleasure that I will be placing myself at the service of my family next November,” the former Laval Police Department investigator said.

Demers was swept into office in 2013, along with an overwhelming majority of councillors with his Mouvement lavallois party, following the departure of longtime mayor Gilles Vaillancourt who was eventually convicted on corruption-related charges and served time in jail.

Demers said he felt he had accomplished what he’d set out to do, namely cleaning up what his predecessor left behind, improving Laval’s economy and preparing the city to move forward through the 21st century.

Road rage incident Thursday closes Autoroute 13

A 25-year-old male resident of Laval was placed under arrest Thursday following a “road rage” incident along Autoroute 13 during the late afternoon in which a 51-year-old man was injured and his car wrecked.

According to witnesses, both men were driving around 4:50 pm in the far left passing lane of the northbound A-13 near the intersection with Autoroute 440.

The younger driver, who was behind the older one, was said to be outraged at not being able to pass.

Witnesses say that when the younger driver finally did pass, he deliberately braked hard, causing the other driver to slam into a median on the left, after which he bounced rightward against a light standard which collapsed and crashed down on his vehicle.

According to the Sûreté du Québec which patrols the autoroutes, the older driver suffered a head trauma in the accident, although his condition was not considered to be life-threatening.

The police were able to locate the younger driver not long after, since witnesses had noted his license plate before he fled the scene.

He is expected to face charges of dangerous driving and leaving the scene of an accident in which there were injuries.

Rainfall warning issued for Laval and other areas of province

Environment Canada issued a weather warning for the Laval and Montreal regions on Friday, with steady rainfall expected to cause potentially hazardous driving as it accumulates in patches on roadways.

Motorists are being advised that the accumulation on highways could result in dangerous hydroplaning conditions.

The federal weather agency also issued warnings for other areas of the province, including freezing rain in the upper Laurentians, and violent wind gusts of up to 90 km/h in Quebec City Friday afternoon.

Rainfall accumulation of 25 to 40 mm is expected in Laval, Saint-Jérôme, Joliette, Drummondville, Trois-Rivières, Sherbrooke and other areas of the province.

Weather

Laval
few clouds
-5.3 ° C
-4.5 °
-6.8 °
60 %
6.7kmh
20 %
Sun
-1 °
Mon
-2 °
Tue
-3 °
Wed
-8 °
Thu
-9 °