Tuesday, February 17, 2026
8 C
Laval
spot_img
Home Blog Page 91

Mayor Boyer offers condolences and help following tragic family incidents

Denies city was hiding anything after ‘Cité du Cinéma’ re-zoning cancellation

Following a minute of silence at the beginning of the the Nov. 1 Laval city council meeting, Mayor Stéphane Boyer opened with some comments on the two recent tragic events in Laval, in which a father allegedly killed his two children in Sainte-Dorothée, while a mother drove her vehicle into the Mille Îles River with two children aboard, resulting in the death of one child and her death in hospital around a week later.

Laval mayor Stéphane Boyer denied the administration concealed information about the Cité du Cinéma project in Saint-François during the Nov. 1 meeting of Laval city council. (Photo: Martin C. Barry, Newsfirst Multimedia)

“I think we’re all in a state of shock after learning of these events, these tragic things, which are impacting us all – I think a lot of people have been left dumbstruck,” Boyer said. “What I would like to send out as message is that apart from these tragedies there are human crises and people who need help.

Unanswered questions

“We haven’t yet gotten to the bottom of the story as to what happened, that is whether there was a question of mental health, or if these were people who were suicidal, or if there was domestic violence. But the investigations will be telling us a lot more.

“But what I want to say most of all tonight is that if you have problems, if you have issues or troubles getting along, don’t wait until you do something you could regret, because there are resources available.” He suggested that by calling 2-1-1, anyone experiencing personal problems will be put into contact with a professional who can provide references to several organizations that offer assistance, regardless of the nature of the situation.

Help is available

These organizations could include food banks, psychological help or other services. “2-1-1 can help you, and there are translators. So, even if you don’t speak French or English, there are people who can help translate should that ever become necessary.”

Mayor Boyer said he was calling on all Laval residents to stand united with the families now in mourning, but also with the city’s emergency services staff, including firefighters and the police who intervened in both incidents. “It was also a shock for them to have to go through, and so our thoughts are with them,” said the mayor.

Elections just three years away

While the month of November marks the end of the first year in power for the Boyer administration, and the mayor took the opportunity to recap some of his team’s accomplishments, former Laval-des-Rapides city councillor Pierre Anthian (who ran for mayor in the elections last year) got up during public question period to remind everyone that there are only 36 months left until the next elections in 2025.

During the business portion of the meeting, council moved to cancel a by-law passed in July, which would have re-zoned several sections of Marcel Villeneuve Ave. in Saint-François in order to allow for the Cité du Cinéma, a project put forth by Montreal film studio promoter Michel Trudel, to be built.

This was after a Montreal daily revealed the existence of a report written by Laval urban planning officials, who deemed the Cité du Cinéma project to be unfit because it didn’t conform to the current urban planning scheme for the area.

Future of Cité du Cinéma?

While some residents of Saint-François spoke out against the project as inappropriate for a partly residential, partly industrial, partly rural area of Laval, and have filed a complaint with the Quebec Municipal Commission, Trudel said recently that he hasn’t given up on his plans, even though some local media have reported that he withdrew the project from Laval city hall.

Fabreville city councillor Claude Larochelle, who leads the official opposition on Laval city council, asked Mayor Boyer why staff at city hall continued to work on the Cité du Cinéma project when it was all but obvious it would never get off the ground.

For his part, Mayor Boyer denied Larochelle’s allegation that the report stated the Cité du Cinéma project didn’t conform to Laval’s master urban plan. “There is a grey zone,” he said, adding that the plan allows for a range of interpretations as to what sorts of projects are appropriate in given zones.

Boyer denies a cover-up

The mayor also categorically denied Larochelle’s allegation that the information in the urban planning report was deliberately hidden from Laval’s residents.

“Normal procedures were followed,” said Boyer, while maintaining at the same time that the administration had been transparent. “We said in a plenary in front of all the councillors that urban planning wasn’t favourable to the project … To say that things were hidden is false” However, Mayor Boyer did acknowledge that the report, which was addressed to the urban planning commission (CCU), stayed within the CCU, although he called that “normal” and in keeping with the accepted way of doing things according to Quebec municipal law.

Laval News Volume 30-26

0

The current issue of the Laval News, volume 30-26, published on November 9th, 2022.
Covering Laval local news, politics, sports, and our new section Mature Life.
(Click on the image to read the paper.)

Front page of the Laval News.
Front page of the Laval News, November 9th, 2022 issue.

Laval man suspected of killing his kids ordered to undergo psychiatric testing

More than two weeks after Laval Police found the bodies of his two children lifeless in their Sainte-Dorothée home, Kamaljit Arora has been ordered by a judge to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.

The scene on Lauzon St. around 9:20 pm on Monday Oct. 17. (Photo: courtesy of Laval Police)

A psychiatric assessment of the currently hospitalized 45-year-old was ordered on Thursday after three court appearances were previously postponed when Arora was deemed insufficiently coherent to understand what was going on.

Two murders and an assault are alleged to have been committed in the family’s home on Lauzon St. in Sainte-Dorothée on Oct. 17.

Arora has spent most of the past few weeks in a coma at Sacré Coeur Hospital in Montreal.

The Laval Police were called to the Arora home where they found the bodies of his 13-year-old daughter, Anzel, and 11-year-old son, Aaron.

Kamaljit’s wife was also assaulted, and he faces a charge of attempting to strangle her, according to police.

According to media reports, Laval police officers believe Arora tried to take his own life before they arrived on the scene.

The case will be heard again in court on Thursday Nov. 10, according to Quebec’s Crown prosecutor’s office.

Whyte’s Foods closing its Sainte-Rose plant by Dec. 30

Blaming persistent labour shortages for an inability to meet minimum production targets, Whyte’s Foods has announced the closure of its plant in the Laval district of Sainte-Rose.

The company, headquartered in Sainte-Thérèse just north of Laval, is due to close the Sainte-Rose facility on Dec. 30.

Over the next few weeks, the company will move its production and equipment to other plants in Quebec (Saint-Louis de Richelieu) and Ontario (Wallaceburg).

“Although the closure of the Sainte-Rose plant will result in the relocation of certain employees and equipment, the head office will remain in Quebec,” the company says in a statement.

“For Sainte-Rose employees, Whyte’s Foods aspires – to the best of its ability – to relocate as many as possible to its other Quebec locations,” says the company.

“The company has dedicated resources to help rehire those for whom relocation will not be an option and provide emotional support to those who feel the need. Physical and mental health is and will remain at the heart of Whyte’s priorities.”

Whyte’s Foods says it “is grateful for the Sainte-Rose community and would like to thank the community of Sainte-Rose for their support along the way.”

“This difficult decision was necessary to secure the future of the company. Whyte’s Foods will continue serving North American and Canadian food service consumers by producing high-quality pickled products.”

Woman who drove into Rivière des Mille Îles dies in hospital

0

A 40-year-old mother who drove her vehicle into the Rivière des Mille Îles a week ago with two children, one of whom did not survive, has now also died.

The Laval Police confirmed Friday to Montreal media that the woman, who was being treated for critical injuries sustained in the incident, died in hospital this morning.

Police were first alerted to the unfolding calamity shortly before 5 p.m. on Friday last week when they received a 9-1-1 call reporting a car was partially submerged in the river.

A search team was quickly sent and managed to rescue the mother and her daughter, but had to give up the search for the missing one-month-old baby when it became too dark.

The Laval Police had reported around mid-day last Monday that the lifeless body of the baby boy had been found.

Laval man among eight arrested along Highway 401 for car theft

A 20-year-old man from Laval is one of eight individuals who were arrested by the Ontario Provincial Police along Highway 401 during a two-week period last month on suspicion of participating in organized car theft.

According to a statement issued by the OPP on Oct. 31, the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Detachment (SD&G) of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) intercepted nine high-end stolen vehicles travelling along the Highway 401 corridor from Oct. 17 to Oct. 30.

Among those arrested was Romenskee Colas, 20, of Laval.

He has been charged with possession of property obtained by crime over $5,000, as well as two counts of “failing to comply with an undertaking” (which generally means not turning up for a court appearance or for a police appointment).

The vast majority of the seven other suspects arrested were from the region of Montreal.

‘Armed and dangerous’ suspect wanted by Laval Police

The Laval Police Dept. asking for the public’s help to locate a 24-year-old male who is said to be armed and dangerous.

Jérémy Mongrain is being sought to answer charges of robbery and possession of a weapon.

The LPD says he is also being sought by other police departments to answer charges related to violent events in several regions.

Jérémy Mongrain and the distinctive tattoo he sports on the back of his neck. (Photo: Courtesy of Laval Police Dept.)

It is believed that he is either in Laval or in Montreal.

On Oct. 24 at 9:50 p.m., according to an LPD incident report, Mongrain went to a parking lot located on Dagenais Blvd. in the Fabreville sector of Laval, to make a transaction for the purchase of an automotive catalytic converter.

A vehicle with three people in it, allegedly including Mongrain, parked behind a victim’s car. A firearm was pointed at the car and the victim’s wallet and some money were stolen. The suspects fled in a vehicle. During the investigation, police seized the firearm which had been left on the ground.

While the police stopped the suspect vehicle, one of the suspects (believed to be Mongrain) fled on foot. Two others, ages 26 and 29, were arrested for robbery and possession of a weapon.

Mongrain is described as white, French-speaking, shaved black hair, brown eyes, 5′ 7″ tall, weighs 139 lbs, and has a tattoo on the back of his neck.

Anyone with information is asked to call the LPD at 450 662-INFO (4636), or 9-1-1. The file number is LVL 221024-100.

Police recover body of baby from Rivière des Mille Îles

The Laval Police reported around mid-day on Monday that the body of a one-month-old baby boy who went missing in the Rivière des Mille Îles in Laval last Friday has been found.

The baby was one of two children who were with a 40-year-old woman who was at the wheel of a car last Friday when it somehow ended up semi-submerged in the river between Laval and the City of Deux-Montagnes on the North Shore.

The other child, a four-year-old girl, as well as the mother survived the ordeal, although the mother remains in hospital in critical condition and reportedly unable to explain the circumstances of the incident to police investigators.

A search for the missing baby had been underway since the beginning of the weekend.

Search for baby missing in Rivière des Mille Îles, after vehicle goes into the water

Search and rescue officials from Laval were hoping to resume an emergency operation in the Rivière des Mille Îles in Laval-sur-le Lac Sunday morning after a vehicle ended up in the river Friday evening and one of the occupants, a one-month-old baby, was reported missing.

The search and rescue op was underway all day Saturday on a stretch of the river running next to Les Érables St. in Laval on the shore opposite the City of Deux-Montagnes.

Police were first alerted to the unfolding calamity shortly before 5 p.m. on Friday when they received a 9-1-1 call reporting a car was partially submerged in the river.

A search team was quickly sent and managed to rescue the mother, age 40, and her daughter, but had to give up the search for the missing baby when it became too dark Friday evening.

The Laval Fire Dept.’s water rescue unit has been deployed to deal with the intervention on the Rivière des Mille Îles.

The operation began again on Saturday morning, with Sûreté du Québec divers mounting a careful search of the water and a helicopter closely monitoring the river from overhead. A rescue boat from the Laval Fire Dept. also took part in the operation, as did a police drone overhead.

The search continued until sundown on Saturday. The Rivière des Mille îles is considered to be especially treacherous in the area, with quickly-flowing rapids.

Residents living alongside the Rivière des Mille Îles are being asked by the LPD to keep an eye on the shoreline where it runs past their property as it is feared the missing child may have been carried a considerable distance with the strong current.

Former Havre des Îles man jailed 10 years after guilty plea to manslaughter

Nathaniel Albert, formerly of Havre des Îles, has been sentenced to more than 10 years in prison after pleading guilty to a manslaughter charge involving his long-time partner Françoise Côté.

Nathaniel Albert, who was arrested in December 2020 following the violent death of his spouse in the apartment they shared on Havre des Îles Ave. in western Laval, was sentenced earlier this week to more than 10 years in prison after pleading guilty to a manslaughter charge.

According to media reports, Albert, age 60, was under a court order to stay away from his spouse, 74-year-old Françoise Côté, who had been his partner for 20 years.

He was originally charged with second-degree murder in conjunction with the acts which took place on Dec. 4 2020.

Côté was found lying on the floor lifeless, with various indications on her body that she had been subjected to violence.

At the Laval courthouse earlier this week, Superior Court Justice François Dadour expressed concerns over whether the punishment fit the crime, given the extent of Côté’s injuries and the fact cout testimony indicated she had been abused over a long period.

He said the case fit within a range where previous offenders received sentences of 12 years or more, although “evidentiary weaknesses” were a factor in his decision to accept a recommendation from defence and prosecution lawyers for a sentence of 10 years and eight months.

Along with his guilty plea to manslaughter, Albert acknowledged causing Côté’s injuries. A forensic pathologist’s report documented several traumatic injuries caused by blunt force, including fractured ribs, and injuries to the head, neck, abdomen, back and limbs.

Weather

Laval
mist
1.5 ° C
2.1 °
0.6 °
94 %
2.6kmh
75 %
Wed
1 °
Thu
-3 °
Fri
-2 °
Sat
-5 °
Sun
-10 °