Laval
overcast clouds
8 ° C
9 °
7 °
70 %
8.2kmh
90 %
Tue
7 °
Wed
13 °
Thu
16 °
Fri
14 °
Sat
17 °
spot_img
Home Blog Page 269

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Statement on Armenian Genocide

CNW Telbec

In his inaugural year in office, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau released a statement commemorating the 101st anniversary of the Armenian Genocide. In a statement dated April 24, 2016 which he shared with the Armenian National Committee of Canada (ANCC), PM Trudeau recalls resolutions of both the Senate and the House of Commons recognizing the Armenian Genocide and states that “[Canadians] preserve the memory of those who lost their lives, and those who suffered, during this genocide and pay our deepest respects to their descendants, including those who now call Canada home.

“We are encouraged to see that the PM Justin Trudeau is holding true to Canada’s commitment to condemn acts of genocide, including the Armenian Genocide,” stated ANCC President Dr. Girair Basmadjian. “While the Prime Minister’s message reaffirms the Canadian government’s recognition of the Armenian Genocide and the need to prevent future genocides, it fails to condemn successive Turkish governments that perpetrated the Armenian Genocide between 1915 and 1923, nor does it condemn the ongoing denial campaign by the Republic of Turkey,” concluded Basmadjian.

The ANCC believes firmly that “Canada’s back” and as a world leader in promoting and protecting human rights and democratic values in other states should help Turkey acknowledge its past by condemning all forms of denial. The ANCC and the Armenians who have chosen Canada as home will continue to work with our government and elected representatives throughout Canada to ensure that future statements include condemnation of any denial by successive Turkish governments.

On the 100th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide, the Canadian Parliament designated April as Genocide Remembrance, Condemnation and Prevention Month and April 24 as Armenian Genocide Memorial Day. On the 101st anniversary, the Prime Minister’s statement is an important part of the Canadian government’s commitment to remember and condemn past genocides and work to prevent future genocides.

Agape Syrian refugee crisis worsens without adequate funding

Martin C. Barry

For the second time in three months, Agape is appealing for assistance in the midst of a funding crisis that the Chomedey-based charitable services agency claims has been brought about by the sudden arrival of hundreds of Syrian refugees and Quebec’s and Ottawa’s failure to compensate charities for the added burden they’ve taken on.

Food and furniture all gone

As reported by the Laval News in January, Agape’s usually-well stocked freezers of food as well as the basement storage areas of furniture have been depleted by the sudden surge in demand. But in the meantime, the organization’s administration says the government has done relatively little to compensate Agape for the responsibility it inadvertently accepted.

During an interview last week with the Laval News, Agape treasurer Elizabeth McLeod heaped praise on Chomedey Liberal MNA Guy Ouellette for emergency support she said he arranged for Agape to receive from Quebec and his office.

“I have the greatest admiration for him – Mr. Ouellette helped us in as much as he could,” she said without revealing the exact amount the Chomedey MNA’s office gave. All the same, she said the amount Ouellete provided “is a far cry from what is really happening. This is a beginning of some hope for us.”

Agape’s treasurer Elizabeth McLeod.
Agape’s freezer chests have been empty for weeks, according to the organization’s treasurer Elizabeth McLeod.

A bureaucratic response

While Ouellette also tried to intervene on Agape’s behalf for funding from the province’s immigration ministry, McLeod was not impressed with the bureaucratic response she got. “The representative at Immigration Quebec informed us that we’re not eligible for any amounts of financial support mainly because refugees are not our primary mission,” she said.

She said she replied, “It became my primary mission when the people started coming to Agape for help in December. As a charitable organization in Laval, it is my moral duty as a Christian to support my brothers and sisters who are poor and in need of food, clothing and furniture. And it has become our primary mission because it surpasses all other other needs of our community at the present time.”

With Agape’s freezers empty since April 12, according to McLeod, she said “the crisis has reached a point where we’re wondering how long are we going to last? I don’t want to be pessimistic, but in the meantime the situation is such that I don’t know where we’re going to be in May.”

A $25,000 shortfall

Agape operates with a regular staff of up to five salaried employees, including an executive-director, a social worker and support personnel. The organization also runs with the help of additional labour, cooking and maintenance workers who are paid through annually renewable employment program subsidies.

According to an Agape annual report three years ago, the organization budgeted for more than $600,000 in spending, including $225,000 in salaries and deducted benefits at that time. McLeod maintains that the sudden burden of having to deal with several dozen families of Syrian refugees has left the organization with a $25,000 shortfall that is jeopardizing Agape’s future. McLeod said Agape is also seeking a $30,000 subsidy for an Arabic-speaking interpreter to interact with the Syrian refugees so they can be propertly served.

McLeod contested a claim made by Laval-Les Îles Liberal MP Fayçal El-Khoury’s riding office that Ottawa was instrumental in helping provide emergency funding to Agape. “They didn’t arrange for a damn cent for me – they didn’t give me anything,” McLeod insisted, maintaining that the $22,000 sum in question was owed by Quebec to Agape since Agape’s 2014-2015 fiscal year.

MP claims application not received

In an interview last week, El-Khoury said Agape was repeatedly invited by his political attaché, Karine Sahakian, to apply to the federal government for assistance. “She asked many times to please apply in order to help,” El-Khoury said, while adding that he kept in contact with Sahakian whenever he was in Ottawa so that she could inform him of the application file number and he could try to have it expedited.

El-Khoury maintained adamantly that he was told by Sahakian that Agape had not responded to his office’s requests. “Now they are coming and crying,” he said of Agape’s situation. “I will see what I can do, but if there is no application the ministry will give no money.”

Help coming, says MP’s office

El-Khoury’s office also claimed that an outreach was undertaken in order to free up an amount due to Agape that the provincial government was holding onto. “We reached out to Mr. Guy Ouellette’s office and we solved that issue,” said Sahakian, adding that the $22,000 in question was paid around a month ago to cover outstanding payroll.

In the meantime, according to the the Liberal MP’s office, some good news is that additional funding for cash-strapped charitable organizations like Agape is supposed to be made available by Ottawa soon. “There’s a new plan that Mr. El-Khoury will announce to the public,” said Sahakian. As well, she said El-Khoury’s office is arranging for Arabic-speaking volunteers to donate their time at Agape to serve the Syrian refugees.

Pirates 440 Chevrolet de Laval ready for a great baseball season

Martin C. Barry

The Laval Regional Baseball Association and the Pirates 440 Chevrolet de Laval have unveiled their calendar of special events for the 2016 season. While announcing the schedule during a press conference on Tuesday, Baseball Laval also announced that Laval-based auto dealership 440 Laval Chevrolet will be the association’s lead partner for the next three seasons.

Uniforms rebranded

As part of the sponsorship deal, all the uniforms of the Laval baseball teams at the minor level will wear a crest bearing the logo of the car dealership. As well, the Méritas Gala at the end of the season will be called the Gala 440 Chevrolet de Laval.

“We are obviously very pleased by the involvement of 440 Laval Chevrolet,” said Richard St-Amour, Baseball Laval’s president. “It is significant and important for baseball in Laval.” In addition to the partnership, 440 Laval Chevrolet will be sponsoring the purchase of sweaters for players in the Challenger Baseball program, as well as in the community baseball program for youths at the Laval youth centre.

The Pirates 440 Chevrolet de Laval Baseball team.
The Pirates 440 Chevrolet de Laval, along with supporters and members of their management team, are seen here in the showroom at 440 Laval Chevrolet last Tuesday evening following Baseball Laval’s press conference.

Pirates’ five-year agreement

At the same time, the Pirates de Laval announced that they have signed a five-year sponsorship agreement with 440 Chevrolet Laval. Effectively, the dealership will be the Pirates’ lead partner over the period and Laval’s junior elite baseball team will also be known as the Pirates 440 Chevrolet de Laval.

For the team’s president, Jacques Continelli, the agreement is a sign of major support for the Pirates. “I would like to thank this partner for their very precious support for our organization,” said Continelli. In the meantime, the junior AA team, which was known until now as the Associés de Laval, is also being renamed the Pirates de Laval. The name Associés de Laval will be used henceforth only by teams in the minor division.

Soirée Laval rain or shine

In terms of events this season, Baseball Laval and the Pirates will be holding their Soirée Laval on June 10 at the Paul Marcel Maheu Park stadium. “This evening will be a celebration of baseball in Laval when all the baseball players and all others who are involved will be gathered in one place in order to express pride in their sport,” said Continelli.

While the last two Soirée Laval events had to be cancelled because of rain, this year the organizers have agreed with the Quebec Junior Elite Baseball League that in case of rain it will be postponed to the following day. “This year we are innovating by using this evening to hold a collection of non-perishable goods,” added Continelli. “Since admission to the stadium will be free that evening, we invite people to bring non-perishable food items as the price of admission. We have reached an agreement with Moisson Laval who will be taking care of the collection.”

‘4 Chevaliers’ exhibition game

In keeping with tradition, the season opener for class A and B baseball in Laval will be taking place over the three-day long weekend of May 21, 22 and 23. “All the teams should be out playing a match on the grounds of the Centre de la nature on this opening weekend,” said Baseball Laval’s St-Amour. “There will even be a match with the Moustique AA team.” The Club de baseball de Laval-Est will be hosting.

On June 18 also at the Paul Marcel Maheu Park stadium, the Pirates 440 Chevrolet de Laval will be hosting a fundraising exhibition softball match shining a spotlight on a four-man ball team that’s been compared to basketball’s Harlem Globetrotters because of their expertise – the 4 Chevaliers. The 4 Chevaliers are considered to be virtually undefeatable on account of their incredible softball skills. Tony Loffreda, a Royal Bank senior executive for Quebec, has agreed to serve as honorary chair for the event which costs $100 per ticket and includes a wine and cheese tasting.

Laval News Volume 24-09

Laval News Volume 24-09


Click here to read the Laval News Volume 24-09 online 


This is a archived copy in PDF format of the Laval News Volume 24-09 that was published and distributed April 30, 2016.

This issue covers local events such us politics, sports and human interest stories. It features editorials and other columns

RECALL – Munchkin Baby Canada Inc. recalls Munchkin Latch Lightweight Pacifier & Clip

This recall involves four styles of Munchkin Latch Pacifier & Clip sold as a set. The pacifiers sold with the pacifier clips are NOT affected by this recall.

(Model #1) Munchkin Latch Lightweight Pacifier & Designer Clip, 0m+, Natural Shape
436623528243662

(Model #2) Munchkin Latch Lightweight Pacifier & Rattle Clip, 0m+, Natural Shape
437633528243763

(Model #3) Munchkin Latch Lightweight Pacifier & Rattle Clip, 6m+, Orthodontic 438483528243848

(Model #4) Munchkin Latch Lightweight Pacifier & Heartbeat Clip, 0m+, Natural Shape 437643528243764

Hazard identified

The decorative colour disc may detach from the metal plate of the pacifier clip posing a choking hazard to young children.

Health Canada has not received any reports of consumer incidents or injuries to Canadians related to the use of this product.

Munchkin Inc., including Munchkin Baby Canada Inc., has received 10 reports of the decorative disc detaching (five in the United States and five in Canada) with no reported injuries.

Number sold

Approximately 16,000 units of the recalled Munchkin Latch Lightweight Pacifier & Clip sets were sold in Canada.

Time period sold

The Munchkin Latch Lightweight Pacifier & Clip sets were sold in Canada from July 2014 to February 2016.

(SOURCE: Government of Canada)

RECALL – SRAM recalls ZIPP Bicycle Quick Release

This recalls involves SRAM’s Zipp stainless steel or titanium quick releases. They were sold as aftermarket components or as part of the 202 DB V2, 303 DB V2, 404 Firestrike V2, 202 Firecrest V3, 303 Firecrest V3, 404 Firecrest V3, 808 Firecrest V3 or 808 NSW wheel sets.

The quick release has a curved, black lever. Zipp appears on the lever. Only quick releases without a marking at the center of the underside of the lever, below the Zipp logo are included on this recall.

The quick release can fail to engage in the closed position, posing a fall hazard.
Neither Health Canada nor SRAM has received any reports of consumer incidents or injuries related to the use of these quick releases in Canada.

Approximately 491 units of the recalled quick release were sold in Canada from March 2015 to December 2015 at specialty bicycle retailers.

Consumers should immediately stop using bicycles equipped with the recalled Zipp quick release and return to their local bicycle dealer for verification and to obtain a free replacement product.

(SOURCE: Government of Canada)

HUMAN BONES found in Laval near Highway 440

The Laval Police department are on site in a wooded area near the McDonalds on Highway 440 (which is located between Highway 13 and the Exit for Cure-Labelle.  The remains were discovered by a construction site employee who was out on foot mapping out a future excavation

The Police are positive the remains are Human and are now trying to determine their identity.

RECALL – One World Technologies, Inc. recalls RYOBI® 40-Volt Brushless Snow Blower

This recall involves the Ryobi® 40-volt Brushless Snow Blowers with model numbers RY40822 and RY40802A. The model number is printed on the data label on the back of the blowers. The snow blowers are black and green with two LED lights located on the front of the unit and are approximately 22 inches wide by 43 inches tall. “RYOBI” is printed on the front of the snow blowers. “40 V” is printed on each side of the snow blowers. The recalled products were certified by UL and have certification file number E476832.

The RYOBI® 40-Volt Brushless Snow Blower can overheat, posing a potential burn and fire hazard to consumers.   Neither Health Canada nor One World Technologies, Inc. has received any consumer reports of incidents or injuries related to the use of these products in Canada.

In the United States, One World Technologies, Inc. has received two reports of snow blowers overheating during or immediately after use. Of the two reports, one consumer reported seeing flames which were immediately extinguished. No injuries or property damage have been reported. Approximately 370 units were sold in Canada and approximately 300 were sold in the United States.

The affected products were sold in Canada from August 2015 March 2016 at Home Depot stores and online at HomeDepot. In the United States, the affected products were sold from November 2015 to February 2016 online at HomeDepot.

(SOURCE: Government of Canada)

RECALL – Unauthorized drug (URX Bombshell) being sold online may pose serious health risks

Health Canada is advising Canadians that an unauthorized drug, URX Bombshell, labelled to contain prescription drug substances (yohimbine and rauwolfia), was being sold on Kijiji and at DiscountSupplementsCo.com. These drugs may pose serious health risks. Products containing prescription drug ingredients should only be taken under the supervision of a health professional because they are used to treat specific diseases, and may cause serious side effects.

Consult your healthcare professional if you have used URX Bombshell and have health concerns as URX Bombshell has not been approved by Health Canada. This means that it has not been assessed for safety, effectiveness and quality. As a result, it may contain ingredients not listed on the label, other additives and/or contaminated ingredients or other ingredients that may interact with other medications and foods. In addition, it may lack the active ingredients Canadians would expect it to contain to help maintain and improve their health. As a result these products could cause serious health effects.

Rauwolfia is listed as a prescription drug and contains reserpine which has been used for the treatment of high blood pressure (hypertension). It is permitted in very low concentration in some homeopathic preparations. However, rauwolfia is of particular concern when used without health professional oversight by persons with a heart condition or psychiatric disorder where patient history must be carefully considered.

As an example, the use of rauwolfia by individuals with a history of depression may exacerbate their condition. Tiredness, sleepiness, depression, nasal obstruction and breathlessness are some of the more common side effects noted with the use of rauwolfia. Rauwolfia should not be used by children, pregnant or nursing women.

Yohimbine is a prescription drug ingredient. The use of drugs containing yohimbine (either as yohimbine hydrochloride or yohimbe bark extract) may result in serious adverse reactions, particularly in people with high blood pressure, heart, kidney or liver disease. Side effects associated with yohimbine include increased blood pressure and heart rate, anxiety, dizziness, tremors, headache, nausea and sleep disorders. It should not be used by children, pregnant or nursing women.

 

(Source: Health Canada)

RECALL – Chongga brand Fish Cake products recalled due to undeclared egg

2169494 Ontario Inc. (PK Trading) is recalling Chongga brand Fish Cake products from the marketplace because they contain egg which is not declared on the label.

The following products have been sold in Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia.  There have been no reported reactions associated with the consumption of these products.

Brand name Common name Size Code(s) on product UPC
Chongga Fish Cake (slice) 400 g 11.02.2016 8 801024 032914
Chongga Fish Cake (mixed) 1 kg 11.02.2016 8 801024 050208
Chongga Fish Cake (mixed) 500 g 23.11.2016 8 801024 032938
Chongga Fish Cake (mixed) 500 g 07.09.2016 8 801024 032938

(Source: Government of Canada)

Weather

Laval
few clouds
9.3 ° C
10 °
8.5 °
62 %
8.2kmh
20 %
Fri
9 °
Sat
6 °
Sun
6 °
Mon
6 °
Tue
5 °