Eight families homeless in Fabreville after Delphis St. apartment building fire

Eight families who are tenants in an apartment block on Delphis St. in Fabreville became temporarily homeless on Monday evening when a fire in a first-floor unit of their building began spreading to other apartments, forcing occupants to flee with whatever belongings they could carry.

The Laval Fire Dept. responded around 6:30 pm to the fire which sent smoke billowing through the building, resulting in the hospitalization of one person who suffered smoke inhalation.

The scene Monday evening on Delphis St. in Fabreville where Laval’s firefighters responded to a blaze that has made eight families temporarily homeless. (Photo: Courtesy APL)

In all, according to the LFD, 27 persons were evacuated from the building which has been deemed uninhabitable for the time being because the electricity has been cut off.

However, the LFD has already deemed the blaze to have been accidental and probably caused by an unsupervised electric clothes iron.

Overall damages have been estimated at more than $250,000.